Makes 1 loaf
- ½oz/15g fresh yeast or 1½tsp dried yeast and a pinch of sugar
- 8oz/225g strong white unbleached flour
- 1tsp salt
- 3-4tbsp/45-60ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2tsp dried rosemary
- Cream the fresh yeast with 3tbsp / 45ml hand-hot water. If using dried yeast, sprinkle it on to 3tbsp / 45ml hand hot water with the sugar and leave in a warm place for 15 minutes until frothy.
- Put the flour on a clean working surface. Gently mix in the salt, then form into a mound with a hollow in the centre.
- our the yeast liquid into the hollow and carefully fold the flour over it, then add 3tbsp / 45ml olive oil Add about 4floz / 100ml hand-hot water to make a stiff but pliable dough. Knead for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the dough in a bowl and cover with a clean tea-towel. Leave in a warm place for about 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a round about ¼in / 0.5cm thick.
- Brush a baking tray with some of the olive oil and place the dough on the tray. Crush the garlic, put in a bowl and add some more of the oil. Brush on to the dough and sprinkle with salt and rosemary.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5 and bake for a further 20 minutes. Serve hot.