Chilled Tomato Consomme
- 2½kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- half fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, roughly chopped
- 4 leaves tarragon, roughly chopped
- handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 6 sun-blushed tomatoes patted dry
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 5 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 4 basil leaves, finely sliced, plus 4 small sprigs
- 6 large tomatoes, skinned, seeded and finely diced
- good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
Ready in 40 - 50 mins
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together with 1 tbsp sea salt, cover with cling film and marinate for 6 hrs. Then, in a food processor, pulse the tomato mix in batches until roughly chopped - don't over-chop them to a mush.
- Place a large folded muslin cloth, or a new kitchen cloth, over a large bowl and pour the mix into the cloth. Tie up with string and hang in a cold place for at least 15 mins over the bowl to collect the tomato essence. Set aside the pulp. Taste and correct the seasoning, if necessary, then cool in the fridge. Use the pulp as an excellent pizza topping for another dish.
- To serve, spoon a quarter of the diced tomato into the centre of four bowls. Carefully pour the chilled tomato essence around the tomato towers and garnish with the basil and a small drizzling of olive oil.