Spiced Cheese Savouries
- 4oz/100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 4oz/100g mature hard cheese, e.g. Cheddar or Double Gloucester
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2tsp finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 4tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 free-range eggs, separated
- salt and pepper
- 2oz/50g breadcrumbs, for coating
Makes about 12
- Mix the cheese and breadcrumbs with the onion, parsley, sun dried tomatoes and spices.
- Mix in 3 egg yolks and 1 egg white. Season lightly and shape the mixture into small balls, or roll into sausage shapes.
- Lightly beat the remaining two egg whites. Dip each savoury into the egg white and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place on an oiled tray and bake for 15-20 minutes at 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Turn twice until crisp and well browned. Alternatively shallow fry in a little olive oil on a medium heat till golden on both sides. Serve hot or cold.